I guess, I will never complain if I had to eat Spaghetti with Tomato Sauce everyday for rest of my life (I was kidding!!!). Bright, Tangy and Lip-smacking tomato sauce passing through spiral of spaghetti is simple Perfecto Italiano. The other day I was watching a food documentary about Italian cuisine and I came to know that there are about 600 shapes of pastas around the world including spaghetti, noodles, macaroni, lasagna etc., There are many popular recipes from Italian cuisine apart from pizzas and pastas like Lasagna, Ratatouille, Risottos, Panna cotta, Tiramisu. The next day I went to groceries and got whole wheat spaghetti, nice ripe tomatoes and fresh basic leaves to prepare a simple Italian dinner.
Canned tomato pasta sauce are quick and easy way to this recipe but they are loaded with extra salt, sugar and preservatives. So I thought I would make some fresh homemade tomato sauce and use half for dinner and store the other half for quick meal fixes later. Here is the recipe for basic marinara sauce. I had some cooked shrimp at home(I boiled the shrimp with some garlic paste and salt) so I decided to add it to give protein boost. You can make this with any seafood or chicken or any vegetables like eggplant or zucchini.
Spaghetti with Shrimp and Marinara Sauce
Servings: 3 to 4
100% Organic Whole Wheat Spaghetti: 1/2 pound
Marinara Sauce: 2 cups
Cooked Shrimp: 1 cup
Salt: As required
Pepper: 1/2 tsp
Parsley: 1 tsp, chopped
Basil: few for garnish
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: 1 tsp
- Prepare spaghetti as instructed on the package
- Take a teaspoon of Olive oil and sear the cooked shrimp for few mins until cooked. Do not overcook the shrimp.
- Pour the marinara sauce and bring it boil
- Add prepared spaghetti and let it simmer for 2 mins to marry the flavors
- Garnish with basil, parsley and Parmesan cheese
- I have boiled shrimp with some spices, so I didn’t flavor it while searing. Please cook the shrimp by adding one more teaspoon of oil if using raw.
- I didn’t add much spices here as my marinara sauce is already spicy. Please check the seasoning and adjust according to you taste