Chickpea flour (Besan) is high in protein, low in carbs and is considered healthy gluten free alternative to wheat flour. Besan is extensively used in Indian cooking. Be it lip-smacking savory pakoras (deep fried fritters) or gratifying besan laddos(gram flour fudges), these are every Indian’s cherished food. Today, I am sharing simple breakfast pancakes made with chickpea flour, which is famously called ‘Besan Cheela’.
These savory pancakes can be made instantly and is usually served with fresh green chutney (cilantro-mint dip). I added grated cucumber in it but you can add any thinly shredded veggies to the pancake. Cucumbers which are naturally refreshing gave nice bite in the pancakes. Spinach, carrots or lauki (op0 squash) is also a good option. Traditionally, cucumber pancakes are made with rice flour but I made with mix of chickpea and rice flour. I served them hot with guacamole as I had avocado lying around in my fridge. This Indo-Mexican combination seems perfect to me and I love it. These were so delicious and disappeared very quickly. Did you know besan cheela is also called ‘Vegan Omelette’?? Recipe of guacamole included here. Try this simple breakfast/snack recipe and let me know how you liked it.
Savory Cucumber Pancakes
Chickpea Flour (Besan): 1/2 cup
Rice Flour: 1/2 cup
Cucumber: 1/2 cup, skin removed and grated
Onion: 3 tbsp, grated
Green Chili: 1, chopped finely
ginger garlic paste: 1/2 tsp
Carom seeds (ajwain): 1/2 tsp
Chili Powder: 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
Roasted Cumin Powder: 1/2 tsp
Chaat Masala: 1 tsp
Cilantro: 2 tbsp, chopped
Mint: 1 tbsp, chopped
Salt: 1 tsp (As required)
Water: 1-1.5 cup (As required)
Oil: to fry pancakes
- Grate the cucumber with bigger side of the grater. Add salt, chili powder, turmeric, cumin, carom seeds, ginger garlic, grated onions and green chili and let rest for 10 minutes until cucumber releases water.
- Add in gram flour and rice flour to the above mixture. Add enough water and mix well until no lumps to make thick batter. Then add sufficient water to make thin batter. This way you will not have lumps in the mixture. The batter should be more thin than traditional pancakes. This way the pancakes would be crispy.
- Heat a non-stick pan and oil it. Pour laddle full of batter and spread thinly on the pan. Pour oil around the edges to crisp up. When you see the bottom turns golden brown and pours form on the top, flip it and cook similarly on the other side too.
- Serve hot with guacamole and drizzle of ketchup.
Avocado: 1 Large, pitted and flesh scooped out
Onion: 1 small, chopped finely
Tomato: 1/2 small, pulp removed
Green Chili/Jalapeno: 1, chopped finely
Cilantro: 4 tbsp, chopped finely
Lime Juice: 2 tbsp
Salt: 1 tsp
Pepper Powder: 1 tsp
- Scoop out the flesh of avocado and mash it with fork or potato masher.
- Add lime juice immediately to prevent oxidation.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and serve.
- To store, transfer to air tight container and pour some lime juice on the top layer to prevent oxidation. Stays fresh in refrigerator for 1 week.