Shahi Tukda, is a famous royal dessert in India. Ghee (clarified butter) fried bread soaked in sugar syrup and topped with saffron rabri (thickened sweet milk) makes it scrumptious dessert. What if this dessert got a make over for Valentines Day? Like melting pot of Chocolate Fondue is served with Fruits and Cake cubes to dunk, we serve our Rose Rabri Fondue with Shahi Tukda Hearts and Strawberries and I am sure it will steal the show.
Rabri Fondue is made with milk, cream ,white chocolate and flavored with rose syrup and cardamom. To make it quick and easy, I added fresh bread crumb that was left over from hearts. Cream and white chocolate adds richness and creates that fondue effect. If you don’t have them handy, just use condensed milk which works equally good. Shahi tukda is made in bite-sized heart shapes. I shallow fried them in ghee but you can even toast them on pan with little ghee. Strawberries are marinated with rose water and sugar to release juices and flavor. Serve this Rabri warm in fondue pot or microwave safe bowl to heat it when necessary. Make this lovely looking platter for your loved one on a weekend and enjoy. At my home the whole platter was finished in a jiffy and we had fun dipping and dunking and I am sure you will enjoy it as well.
Rose Rabri Fondue with Shahi Tukda Hearts and Strawberries
For Rose Rabri
Milk: 1 1/2 cups
Cream: 1/2 cup (You can use Heavy Whipping or Half and Half or whole milk)
Fresh Bread Crumbs: 3 tbsp (Made from left over bread after cutting heart shapes)
White Chocolate: 1/4 cup, chopped (Or condensed milk)
Rose Syrup: 3 tbsp
Cardamom Powder: 1 tsp
Rose Water: 1 tsp
Pistachio: 2 tbsp, roasted and chopped
For Shahi Tukda Hearts:
White Bread: 8 Slices (Cut with 1″ inch size heart cutter to give 3- 4 hearts in each bread)
Ghee: 1/4 cup
Sugar: 1/2 cup
Water: 1/4 cup
Cardamom Powder: 1/4 tsp
Rose Water Marinated Strawberries:
Strawberries: 10, cut into 1″ size
Rose Water: 2 tbsp
Sugar: 1 tbsp
For Rose Rabri Fondue:
- In a wide non-stick pan, bring milk and cream to quick boil.
- Add fresh bread crumbs and simmer for 10 minutes until it gets thick.
- Add Chocolate and mix well. Bring to the consistency of ‘coating the back of the spoon’.
- Switch off the flame and add rose water and cardamom powder.
- Transfer to a microwave safe bowl and top with some rose syrup and chopped pistachio.
For Shahi Tukda Hearts:
- In a sauce pan, make a sugar syrup by heating sugar and water until sugar dissolves. Add Cardamom Powder and set aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan and shallow fry heart shaped bread until golden from both the sides.
- Dip the fried bread only for few seconds in the sugar syrup. The bread should not turn soft. It must be crispy and lightly coated with sugar syrup.
For Rose Water Marinated Strawberries:
- Mix together, chopped strawberries, sugar and rosewater and let stand for 5 minutes.
For plating, serve Rabri warm or chilled as you wish in a bowl. Arrange hearts and strawberries in the platter along with skewers and have fun.