These adorable looking truffles are not only nutritious but also quick and easy to make. These are made with minimal ingredients and are naturally sweet with Dates. We all know Dates are nutritional powerhouse and Walnuts are rich in antioxidants. I flavored them with Cocoa powder and Vanilla which gave them chocolaty flavor. Half of them were rolled in toasted Poppy seeds and Coconut flakes and other half were covered with decadent Dark Chocolate. They are as delicious as they look and makes a healthy snack for a bite. I took a box of these as edible gift for my dear ones during vacation and they loved it. You can get as creative as you want to be with toppings, ingredients and shapes. Do try this recipe and have a healthy bite.
Dates and Walnut Truffles
Servings: 20 balls
Dates: 1 lb or 450 g, pitted and chopped (Preferably Medjool dates)
Walnuts-1 cup, chopped (Any nuts like almonds, cashews, pistachios or dry fruits like prunes, cranberries or apricots works)
Flax seeds: 2 tbsp (Optional, I did not use)
Dry coconut powder: 1 cup
Cocoa powder: 2 tbsp
Butter or Ghee: 1 tbsp
Vanilla extract: 1/2 tsp
Dry coconut powder: 2 tbsp
Poppy seeds: 1 tbsp
Dark Chocolate: 1/2 cup
White Chocolate: 2 tbsp
- Take a non-stick pan and dry roast the chopped walnuts for two minutes on medium flame until fragrant.
- Add butter, dry coconut flakes and chopped dates and saute for four minutes until they become one mass and leave the pan easily. Mash them with back of the wooden spoon or potato masher if the dates mixture is not smooth.
- Add cocoa powder and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Let it cool down for few minutes until safe to handle and make balls by oiling your hands.
- Toast 2 tbsp of coconut powder and poppy seeds until fragrant for half minute and roll half of these balls in it and set on parchment paper.
- Melt the dark chocolate chips in double broiler by heating water in pan and keeping a bowl of chocolate on it. Melt until the chocolate is completely melted and pours easily. Take care not to over heat the chocolate as it may loose its property to coat.
- Take the remaining balls and dip them in melted chocolate one after other. Lift with fork and tap off the excess chocolate and gently put them on parchment paper.
- In another small bowl, melt white chocolate in microwave by heating in burst of 30 seconds for twice or thrice until melted. Stir in each interval to see to distribute the heat. Dip a fork in white chocolate and shake it on the dark chocolate covered balls vigorously to make a zig-zag design.
- Set the chocolate covered balls in refrigerator for 10 minutes or until set.
- You can mash the dates in blender and add to the pan if you do not want to work with potato masher in pan.
- You can add any nuts, seeds or dried fruits to the balls like almonds, peanuts, walnuts, pistachios, dried apricot, cranberries, flax seeds or sunflower seeds.
- Some other topping options are powdered pistachios, poppy seeds, sweetened cocoa powder as shown in picture below.