On those weekends, when you get ready to prepare some delicious meals for family or yourself and crave something beyond regular onion-tomato based curries or rich buttery gravies with your chicken then go for this recipe. Inspired from Thai Green Curry chicken, I came up with this curry made of classic Indian Green Chutney ingredients- fresh coriander/cilantro, mint leaves, green chilies and lots of lemon juice.
Choose any type of meat and this curry suits anything. Even a bowl of steamed veggies works well too. I used yogurt instead of coconut milk for this just to cut down on calories and it was delicious. You can substitute equal quantities of coconut milk if you would like to. Easy to make and less standing time. Goes perfect with mildly spiced zeera (cumin) rice or flatbreads like roti/paratha. Try this fresh, spicy and zingy Chicken Curry for your next weekend meal.
Indian Green Curry Chicken
Chicken Drumsticks: 6 (Or can use approx. 2 lb normal chicken pieces with or without bone)
Ginger Garlic Paste: 1 tbsp (Or 1″ ginger and 5-6 cloves of garlic finely minced)
Salt: 1 tsp
Pepper Powder: 1 tbsp
Garam Masala Powder: 1/2 tsp (Use 1 tsp if store brought)
Lemon Juice: 1 tbsp
Oil: 1 tbsp
For Curry Sauce:
Onions: 1 Large, roughly sliced
Fresh Coriander Leaves with stems: 2 cups
Mint Leaves: 1/4 cup
Green Chilies: 4-5 (According to your spice level)
Ginger Garlic Paste: 1 tbsp (Or 1″ ginger and 5-6 cloves of garlic)
Yogurt: 1.5 cups
Salt: 1 tbsp (As requiried)
Pepper Powder: 1 tsp
Tumeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
Roasted Coriander Powder: 2 tsp
Roasted Cumin Powder: 1 tsp
Garam Masala: 1 tsp (Use more if store-brought)
Fennel Powder: 1 tsp (Or green cardamom powder)
Oil: 2 tbsp
Water: 2 cups
- Clean the chicken pieces and give deep cuts if using drumstick pieces
- Marinate the chicken for 30 mins minimum; with salt, pepper, garam masala, lemon and oil as mentioned in the marinade ingredients above.
- In a deep non-stick pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil and saute the onions until translucent for 2 minutes. Do not brown.
- In a blender combine these translucent onions, coriander leaves, mint, green chilies, salt, pepper, turmeric, coriander, cumin powders, yogurt and blend to a smooth mixture.
- Heat the remaining oil in non-stick pan and add the marinated chicken pieces and fry until it turns white from all the sides. 5 minutes.
- Add in the blended green curry mixture and mix well. Cover and cook on medium-high for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add in two cups of water and cover cook again on medium heat for 20 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked. The chicken meat will start to leave the bone if it is cooked.
- When the oil separates at the edges, add the garam masala and fennel powder and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or any breads like Indian paratha or rotis
- You can add 2 tbsp of cream/milk and some honey. Finish off with a generous sprinkle of kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) for more richer curry.