Hi folks!! Chili Chicken is one of the popular Indo-Chinese dishes. Indo-Chinese food which started as street food emerged as popular cuisine in itself and is loved not only in India but all over the world. Chili Chicken with Fried Rice was always my go to dish during college days as it was deeply spicy and savory and is readily available at any chinese street vendor for low cost. This dish involves deep frying battered chicken pieces and tossing in manchurian like sauce with some Indian flavors and good amount of chili.
Here I coated the marinated chicken breasts with whole wheat flour, pan fried them (instead of deep-frying) and tossed in savory soy sauce and home made chili garlic paste. It is quick and easy as you don’t have the hassle of heating up oil for deep frying. It goes very well with burnt garlic rice or noodles but you can just serve with simple steamed rice for a quick fix meal and satiate your craving for our beloved Indo-Chinese food.
Healthy Chili Chicken
Boneless Chicken Breasts: 4
Soy Sauce: 3 tbsp
Vinegar: 1 tbsp
Chili Garlic Sauce/Paste: 1 tsp (See Notes)
Salt: 1 tsp
Pepper: 1 tsp
Whole Wheat Flour: 1/2 cup
Oil: 1 tbsp
Ginger: 2 tbsp
Garlic: 2 tbsp
Green Chilies: 2 tbsp
Onion: 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Green/Red Capsicum: 1/2 cup, cubed to 1/2″ pieces
Spring Onions: 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Green Coriander: 2 tbsp
Soy Sauce: 1/3 cup
Chili Garlic Sauce/Paste: 1 tbsp (See Notes)
Honey/Sugar: 1 tsp
Corn Starch: 2 tsp, heaped
Water: 1 cup
Salt: 1/2 tsp (As Required)
Pepper: 1 tsp
Oil: 1 tbsp
- Clean chicken breasts and pat it with back of the knife to flatten it and make deep cuts
- Marinate the chicken with soy sauce, chili garlic paste, vinegar, salt and pepper for at least one hour in refrigerator
- Coat with whole wheat flour and dust off the excess
- Heat a non-stick pan or grill pan and pour oil
- Fry the chicken until golden on both sides and cooked through (8-10 mins)
- For sauce, heal oil in pan and fry garlic, ginger and green chilies. Do not burn them.
- Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add green/red capsicum.
- Add soy sauce, chili garlic paste, salt, pepper and honey. Cook for a minute.
- Add half a cup of water to pan and make a slurry with remaining water and cornstarch and add to the sauce. Stir and cook for 2 mins.
- Add coriander and green onions and cook for a min
- Arrange chicken pieces on platter and pour the sauce on it and serve immediately.
- Make chili garlic paste by soaking 10 dry red chilies in hot water for 20 mins and blending with 4 garlic cloves. It is healthy as it does not contain any preservatives. Alternatively, you can use sweet chili sauce or chili garlic sauce