To Indians like me, the name “Tandoori Chicken” leaves us mouth-watering. It is one of the popular recipes from Indian cuisine which is made in clay oven called tandoor. Chicken (as a whole or drumstick pieces) is marinated in yogurt, lemon juice and other spices over-night and roasted in the tandoor to give this exquisite and scrumptious dish which can be served as appetizer or a heavy snack. You can make this recipe easily at home without the tandoor, in a oven or a grill. Alternatively, if you don’t have access to any of them, simply shallow fry it in a non-stick pan.
I made this on Sunday for lunch and served with coriander and yogurt dip and it was a guilt free indulgence. I didn’t go over board on spices nor used any ready made tandoori masalas. I used extra virgin olive oil instead of butter and the result was much better than I expected. You can use vegetable/canola oil too. The important thing to do is to let the chicken marinate in yogurt for over-night, at-least 6 hours to make it tender and juicy. Enjoy this scrumptious, homemade and healthy tandoori chicken with nice mint or coriander dip.
Roasted Tandoori Chicken
Chicken Drumsticks: 6, washed and skinned
Red Chili Powder : 1 tbsp
Salt: 2 tsp
Lemon Juice: 3 tbsp
Low-Fat Yogurt: 6 tbsp, hung (its like 1 tbsp of yogurt for each piece)
Ginger-Garlic Paste: 2 tbsp
Kashmiri Red Chili Powder: 1 tsp (for color)
Coriander Powder: 2 tbsp
Cumin Powder: 1 tbsp
Pepper Powder: 1 tbsp (freshly ground)
Red Chili Flakes: 1 tbsp
Dried Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi): 1 tbsp
Tandoori Chicken Masala: 2 tbsp (I didn’t use it)
Red Food Color: 2 drops (I didn’t use it)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: 3 tbsp
- Wash the chicken drumsticks and make two or three 1″ slit on the thickest part of the flesh.
- Mix the first marinade ingredients and rub into the pieces and set aside for 10 mins.
- Mix the ingredients on second marinade list and massage it nicely on chicken and cover and refrigerate over-night.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with foil and make small holes in the foil to let the water released during cooking process escape.
- Place the chicken drumsticks in middle rack and bake for 35-40 minutes turning sides for every 15 mins. Occasionally brush with the remaining marinate if the surface seem very dry or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Broil for 2-3 mins on high on each side for that grilled look.
- If you choose to shallow fry it, add 2 tbsp of cornflour just before frying.
- Make an easy coriander dip by grinding coriander leaves, yogurt, green chili, salt and lemon juice till desired consistency is reached.